This compilation of my 2020 “If you need more evidence that climate is about communism…” tweets lets climate activists present their real goal in their own words. Don’t just accept what climate skeptics have been saying for the past several decades. But do take the activists at their word. Keep in mind this small collection is merely what I have tweeted this year under this particular rubric. There is a motherlode of similar sentiments and positions all over the Internet. [Last Update: November 20, 2020].
52. Sunrise Movement (Green New Deal advocacy group). Get rid of capitalism to ‘stop the climate crisis.’ Twitter, November 17, 2020.
51. Howie Hawkins (2020 Green Party presidential candidate). “Capitalism is killing the planet: Why We Need an Eco-Socialist Green New Deal.” Twitter, November 15, 2020.
50. Communist Party USA. Marching in NYC for Joe Biden, Communist Party USA demands, ‘PEOPLE & NATURE BEFORE PROFITS.’ Peoples World, November 5, 2020.
49. Nafeez Ahmed (“Change Strategist”). “The only way to avoid [climate catrastrophe] is by shifting to a new [more equitable] social & economic framework called ‘degrowth’.” Vice, Oct0ber 21, 2020.
48. Democratic Socialists of America. “Green capitalism” is an “empty hope.” Twitter, November 5, 2020.
47. Ian Dunlop and David Spratt (Breakthrough National Centre for Climate Restoration, Australia). World’s remaining carbon budget should be equally redistributed among the global population. Canberra Times, November 3, 2020.
46. Socialist Project. “We should end capitalism and establish a sustainable ecosocialist society.” SocialistProject.ca, October 30, 2020.
45. Klaus Schwab (Founder and Executive Chairman, World Economic Forum). “The same economic system that created so much prosperity in the golden age of American capitalism in the 1950s and 1960s is now creating inequality and climate change.” Time, October 22, 2020.
44. Sommer Ackerman (Finnish activist). “Burn Capitalism. Not Coal.” Twitter, October 30, 2020.
43. Ryan Knight (Podcaster and @ProudSocialist). “The fight against climate change is a fight against capitalism.” Twitter.com, October 26, 2020.
42. Aaron Bastani (UK leftist), Greens must collectively challenge the role capitalism play in the climate crisis. Novaramedia.com, October 26, 2020.
41. Democratic Socialists of America (San Francisco). “We need Ecosocialism.” Twitter , October 23, 2020.
40. Michael D. Higgins (President of Ireland). “Worldwide response to climate change should be framed around principles of “redistribution, social consumption & social investment.” The Times (UK), October 21, 2020.
39. Glascow Marxists. “A World on Fire: Capitalism and the Climate Crisis”, Twitter, October 20, 2020.
38. Akshat Rathi (Bloomberg News reporter). “Trying to overthrow capitalism will only come in the way of tackling climate change.”, Twitter, October 11, 2020.
37. Liberation (Newspaper of the Party for Socialism and Liberation).” “But in the fight against climate change, shifting how we work is a step in the right direction. We just need a new system — w/a socialist planned economy — that makes the shift equitable for all.” LiberationNews.org, October 17, 2020.
36. Ireland. “Irish carbon tax to be redistributed to the poor.” The Times, October 17, 2020.
35. Rebecca Henderson (Harvard Business School professor). “[Monstrous] capitalism destabilizes the environment and harms human health.” Twitter, October 16, 2020.
34. National Wildlife Federation. Capitalism is a ‘system of oppression’ causing climate change. Twitter, October 15, 2020.
33. New York City-Democratic Socialists of America Eco-Socialist Working Group. Any capitalism is excess capitalism. Twitter, October 8, 2020.
32. Salon. “The candidates don’t get it: from pandemics to climate change, the real problem is capitalism itself” Salon, October 11, 2020.
31. Eric Holthaus (Meteorologist). “The collapse of this system – capitalism, Western Civilization, white supremacy – isn’t bad news. It’s life-giving.” Twitter, October 12, 2020.
30. Olúfẹ́mi O. Táíwò and Beba Cibralic (Georgetown University). “But to mitigate climate change effectively and fairly, the international community needs to broadly redistribute funds across states.”, Foreign Policy, October 10, 2020.
29. Clover Hogan (Youth climate activist). “The climate crisis is the symptom of broken systems… The bedrock of these broken systems is a system of capitalism…”, New York Times, October 9, 2020.
28. David Stasavage (NYU prof). “Constitutional checks and balances… make it far more difficult to respond to critical challenges that require collective action such as saving our climate.” Washington Post, October 9, 2020.
27. Hans Christoph Hirt (Manager of $875 billion fund). “Companies should have a ‘social license’ to operate, including ‘mothballing dividends’, because of climate.” Reuters, April 15 2020.
26. Layla Moran (Liberal Democrat Member of UK Parliament). “Decarbonize capitalism.” The Times (UK), June 22, 2020.
25. Sir David Attenborough (Naturalist). Calls for an end to democracy to fix climate. iNews, January 26, 2020.
24. Sunny Hundal (Leftist British journalist). “It’s controversial to say this on the left but we can tackle the climate crisis without socialism and we should.” The Times (UK), January 6,2020.
23. Extinction Rebellion. Climate activists march in solidarity with Marxist Black Lives Matter. The Times (UK), August 26, 2020.
22. Spain’s leftist coalition government. “The leftist coalition has put forward a [climate] bill…” Reuters, June 24, 2020.
21. French Socialist Party. Moves its headquarters near the French Communist Party in order to integrate the French left for the “climate revolution.” New York Times, January 12, 2020.
20. Just Transition Commission (Scottish government climate advisory group). “We simply will not succeed if justice for workers and communities is not at the core of our approach. The actions required by 2045 will transform all sectors of our economy and society.” The Times (UK), February 28, 2020.
19. Climate Assembly (Citizens group established by the UK government). “Reaching Britain’s climate target must be fair for all.” Reuters, September 15, 2020.
18. Edward Luce (Financial Times columnist). “Democracies are ill-suited to deal with climate change.” Financial Times, January 5, 2020.
17. Andreas Malm (Research, Lund University). “To halt climate change, we need an ecological Leninism.” JacobinMag.org, June 16, 2020.
16. Ilhan Omar’s daughter, Isra Hirsi (Activist). “I hate capitalism.” Twitter.com, May 31, 2020.
15. Rhiana Gunn Wright (Activist). “Climate is moving from being seen as a raceless, ‘scientific’ issue to being recognized as another place where outcomes are shaped by legacies and systems of oppression.” Rolling Stone, August 11, 2020.
14. Earth Day. Culmination of 50th Earth Day celebration timed to end on May 1, International Workers Day. Washington Post, April 22, 2020.
13. Yanis Varoufakis (Economics professor, Greece). “Once the epidemic ends, we must demonstrate that a better, green, post-capitalist lifestyle can be fun!”, Twitter.com, March 13, 2020.
12. Eric Holthaus (Meteorologist). “The climate emergency is now inseparable from the broader struggle for justice in all its forms.” Sept 5, 2020.
11. Jamie Henn (Co-founder, 350.org). “Coronavirus has basically turned off the global economy. Let’s install a new operating system before we turn it back on.” Townhall.com, April 22, 2020.
10. Naomi Klein (Canadian leftist and author). “We’re in the midst of a democratic socialist revival, which is breathing oxygen into the political imagination and made us think maybe we can [take climate action].” HuffPost.com, January 5, 2020.
9. The Nation. “We need to seriously question the ideal of private homeownership.” The Nation, December 26, 2019.
8. Washington Post. Editorial explains how a carbon tax would redistribute wealth. Washington Post, February 13, 2020.
7. Sunrise Movement. (Green New Deal advocacy group). “Climate activists are ready to fight for Sanders…’The Democrats are planning their own funeral if they nominate Joe.’” Washington Post, March 5, 2020.
6. Extinction Rebellion. “Extinction Rebellion plans to target an economic system that is “causing cancer in our planet.” The Times (UK), May 4, 2020.
5. Pope Francis. Coronavirus intersects with climate, which requires “change, both in production and consumption patterns and in private and public actions. It is time for a deep and global ecological conversion.” Associated Press, May 18, 2020.
4. Greta Thunberg’s #SchoolStrike4Climate. Make capitalism history. From the Sep 25, 2020 school strike in Aschaffenberg, Germany.
3. Greta Thunberg (Activist). “It’s time to abolish billionaires.” Reuters, January 17, 2020.
2. Sir David Attenborough. Capitalism is the main driver of ecological breakdown. BBC, October 8, 2020.
1. Pope Francis. “The current economic system [of market capitalism has failed and] is unsustainable.” Associated Press, October 10, 2020.
Even media climate bedwetters like The Times (UK) recognize the climate movement has been hijacked by communists.
The Times (UK). “Extinction Rebellion has allowed a hard core of ideologues and Marxist infiltrators to dictate its agenda.” Sept. 7, 2020.
In conclusion and as this non-communist observes:
Melody McIntyre “Their main objective is to bring down Democracy”, January 11, 2020.