UN rejects over 1,000 journalists as Paris Climate Summit security is tightened
Via Politico.EU (Subscription Required)
UN rejects over 1,000 journalists as COP21 security is tightened
By Sara Stefanini
11/17/2015 12:05 PM EDT
The COP21 climate summit organizers have turned away more than 1,000 journalists because of tougher security following last week’s terrorist attacks in Paris.
“We had hoped to have some flexibility regarding increased media accreditation for COP21; however, due to overwhelming demand and now facing tighter security in light of recent events, we are sorry to inform you that your application has been declined,” the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change’s press office said in an e-mail sent to journalists today.
It also advises reporters not to visit the Le Bourget conference center, in northeast Paris, unless they are accredited.
The French government has promised to step up security for the two-week summit, which starts November 30.
Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius met with climate campaigners today to discuss the extent to which marches, rallies and other side events would be allowed to proceed. A decision is expected in the coming days.
Prime Minister Manuel Valls said Monday that the summit would be “reduced to negotiations.”
This article first appeared on POLITICO.EU on Nov. 17, 2015.