Links tagged “chris mooney”
- Wash Post’s Chris Mooney’s claims called ‘nonsense’ – Claimed Surprisingly Strong Link Between Climate Change And Violence
Statistician Dr. Matt Briggs: Mooney shows a graph from their paper which is so silly that I refuse to picture it. He presents this graph, as do the authors, as if it were data. Which it is not. It is the output from a preposterously complex regression model (they “control” for 13 things!). Baseball fans: when do more beanballs, and hence more retaliations take place, in chilly April when the season has just begun and all are of good cheer, or late in hot August when tempers are up and when games start to feel a lot more crucial? Is the observed discrepancy therefore caused by climate change? Good grief, what a rotten paper, what a rotten theory.Posted March 30, 20127:57 AM by Marc Morano | Tags: chris mooney, gop, wacky
- 56 Studies Confirm: Global warming to increase road rage & fights at baseball games! Is WaPo’s Chris Mooney serious?! Is Mooney serious? Includes charts on ‘retaliatory beanballs’ by MLB pitchers! ‘There’s a surprisingly strong link between climate change and violence’
'For 1 degree Celsius of warming, he'd expect about a 1 percent increase in interpersonal conflicts, a category that includes crimes like assault and robbery but also road rage and fights at baseball games.'
Mooney: 'For instance, one of the studies cited in the new meta-analysis is a 2011 paper published in Psychological Science (discussed in more depth here) showing a relationship between hot temperature days and the number of retaliatory beanballs thrown by Major League Baseball pitchers. The figure below shows their results in more detail:
The study's lead author Richard Larrick, a professor at Duke's Fuqua School of Business, explained in an e-mail the psychological research linking heat with shows of aggression.
[More on WaPo's Chris Mooney's statistical silliness: http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?s=mooney
- Lightning Strike Causes Religious Conversion: ‘One Meteorologist’s Come-to-Jesus Moment on Climate Change’: ‘Like many TV weathermen, Stu Ostro didn’t believe in climate change—until extreme weather and scientific evidence changed his mind’
'Just before the longest major hurricane absence in U.S. history began, some guy (Stu Ostro) became convinced that CO2 causes hurricanes'
Climate Depot response to Stu Ostro: 'Extreme weather convinced you of man-made global warming claims?! Does lightening and hail and crop failure make you a believer in witchcraft as well? Stu, did you even examine any evidence before you made your extreme weather beliefs public? Ostro truly experienced a 'faith-based' conversion. It sure was not based on science.' See: ‘Extreme Weather Report 2012′: ‘Latest peer-reviewed studies, data & analyses undermine claims that current weather is ‘unprecedented’ or a ‘new normal’
- Chris Mooney’s Chartsmanship in the Service of Alarmism: Mooney engages in ‘raw, pure, visceral alarmism’ with claim ‘Humans Have Already Set in Motion 69 Feet of Sea Level Rise’
- Clueless warmist Chris Mooney thinks Americans might get all excited about latest scary fed climate propaganda report, even though they’ve yawned at very similar propaganda for decades
- Columbia Journalism Review: From the EPA to NASA, the FDA to OSHA, President Obama has failed to make science accessible
'The Obama EPA is the most difficult to get information and answers out of that I've covered in 20 years'
- Warmist Chris Mooney: ‘The Science of Fox News: Why Its Viewers are the Most Misinformed’: ‘Authoritarian people have a stronger emotional need for an outlet like Fox’
'...where they can find affirmation and escape factual challenges to their beliefs. (This is an excerpt from Chris Mooney's new book The Republican Brain)
- Obama copies Chris Mooney?: President claims Republicans show signs of ‘madness’
- Climate Depot’s Morano: If Only We All Had (Liberal) Brains, We’d All Believe In Man-Made Global Warming
'It's even more chilling that there is a whole new movement afoot by the promoters of man-made global warming theory to intimidate climate skeptics by using new brain 'research'
- Warmist David Appell: ‘Chris Mooney’s book, and much of his work, is a perverse attempt to twist science purely for political purposes’
'And this was fairly clear, even before this study. And that is at least as bad as claims about denying science, and many would say it's even worse. I certainly would'
UN Advisor Sophia Kianni says the quiet part out loud! ‘Remember when we treated COVID-19 like an emergency? Well it’s time to do the same for climate change’
‘Climate Brides’ – Media claims ‘Pakistan’s Climate Crisis of Child Marriage’ Due to Floods – ‘Patriarchal power structures impose disproportionate climate-related harms on women & girls’
Your Future Meals Could Come From A 3D Printer ‘to combat climate-related food insecurity’, Researchers Say – ‘Food paste is squeezed through a syringe’ into 3D printer
Printed food is already being used to make imitation meat cuts from soy protein and chickpeas at several restaurants and butchers in Europe, Reuters reported in October. ... “If you buy any packaged food at the supermarket, then you’re practically eating 3D-printed food already,” Lynette Kucsma, chief marketing officer at Natural Machines, a firm that develops a food printer known as Foodini, told C&EN. ... “We do believe that in 10 to 15 years, 3D food printers will become a common kitchen appliance like your oven or microwave is today,” Kuscma told the outlet. ...
Researchers from the University of Ottawa examined a variety of technologies and found that “material extrusion,” where food paste is squeezed through a syringe and layered upon itself, was relatively inexpensive and low-effort compared to other options, in a recent study. A Danish government adviser recently recommended citizens cut their meat consumption by two-thirds in order to help the country hit its climate targets.
BERLIN’S CLIMATE-NEUTRAL-BY-2030 REFERENDUM FAILS!