Aussie police announce a crackdown on arsonists after investigations showed 716 fires this season did not occur naturally – 267 already charged with arson offences


By: - Climate DepotJanuary 29, 2020 4:54 PM

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/nsw-police-reveal-measures-to-crackdown-on-bushfire-arsonists/news-story/2993007a606a11fbd037bf1bcafe7f64

By Angira Bharadwaj, The Daily Telegraph

Serial arsonists will face the full force of the law after NSW Police announced a crackdown on fire bugs in the wake of investigations which showed 716 fires this season did not occur naturally.

Of that number it is unclear how many were the work of arsonists and what was the result of negligent behaviour. Dedicated investigators will now trawl through evidence to separate the two.

Strike Force Tronto has been expanded to co-ordinate and collate all fire-related investigations. Picture: NSW Police
Strike Force Tronto has been expanded to co-ordinate and collate all fire-related investigations. Picture: NSW Police

More than 250 people have been charged since August 2019 with bushfire-related offences.

Emergency Services Minister David Elliott said the 19-year-old Strike Force Toronto would be expanded for the first time to zero in on serial arsonists.

“It is a genuinely disturbing announcement because a 20-year-old strike force has to be expanded,” he said.

“It is unfathomable that anyone would deliberately light a fire in these conditions, but sadly this season we have had to deal with 267 reckless people for bushfire-related offences.

“The best evidence is fresh evidence and that is why we are appealing for people to see, hear or appreciate things that are out of the ordinary when it comes to bushfires.”

Since August 1 last year police have charged 267 people for 328 bushfire-related offences. Of that number 55 people were charged with deliberately lighting bushfires.

126 people failed to comply with the total fire bans, 41 people threw cigarettes or matches on the ground and 70 minors were also charged.