Study: Global sea level rise has decelerated since 1950s – The 1958-2014 Sea Level Rise is Neither Unusual Or Unprecedented
By: Marc Morano - Climate DepotFebruary 1, 2018 2:46 PM
New Scare Science: Global Sea Levels Rose A Staggering 3.1 Inches (1.42 mm/yr) During 1958-2014
by Kenneth Richard / Today, 05:38
Antarctica & Greenland CombinedAdded
0.59 Of An Inch To Sea Levels Since 1958
Graph Source: Grinsted et al., 2009
In a newly published paper, oceanographers estimate that global sea levels rose at a rate of ~1.42 mm per year−1 (1.32 to 1.52 mm/yr−1) between 1958 and 2014, a 56-year span that directly coincides with an unprecedented rise in anthropogenic CO2 emissions.
Frederiske et al.,2018
“For the first time, it is shown that for most basins the reconstructed sea level trend and acceleration can be explained by the sum of contributors, as well as a large part of the decadal variability. The global-mean sea level reconstruction shows a trend of 1.5 ± 0.2 mm yr−1 over 1958–2014 (1σ), compared to 1.3 ± 0.1 mm yr−1 for the sum of contributors.”
This rate (which scores between the estimated sum of sea level rise contributors and a reconstruction from tide gauge and satellite measurements) is similar to the reconstructed rate for 1954-2003 (1.45 mm/yr−1) estimated by Dr. Simon Holgate (2007).
“The rate of sea level change was found to be larger in the early part of last century (2.03 ± 0.35 mm/yr 1904–1953), in comparison with the latter part (1.45 ± 0.34mm/yr 1954–2003).”
Extrapolating the annual rate of rise over the 56-year period (1958-2014), global sea levels rose 7.95 centimeters (cm) in total, or 3.13 inches during the Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) era.
Negligible Polar Ice Sheet Melt Contribution To Sea Level Rise Since 1958
Of those 7.95 cm, just 1.17 cm (0.46 of an inch) of meltwater was contributed by Greenland Ice Sheet in 56 years, and the Antarctic ice sheet contributed just 0.37 of a cm (0.13 of an inch).
1958-2014 Sea Level Rise Neither Unusual Or Unprecedented
If 3.1 inches of sea level rise over a 56-year span does not appear to be either alarming or unprecedented, perhaps it’s because they are indeed neither — especially when one considers longer-term contexts.
As Holgate (2007) summarizes above, the ~50-year global rate of sea level rise was substantially higher (2.03 mm/yr−1) during the first half of the 20th century (1904-1953) compared to the post-1950s period (1.45 mm/yr−1 1954-2003).
In other words, since the 1950s, global sea level rise has decelerated.
The 1920 to 1950 period had rates of rise that were either higher or rivaled the rates of the more recent decades (using satellite altimetry modeling [3.4 mm/yr−1 ]). In fact, when the anomalous decadal variability is removed, the fastest rates of sea level rise occurred during the 1920 to 1950 period.
- Listen: Morano on The Joe Piscopo Show talks Africa being colonized by both China & UN climate agenda – Plus how the UN replaced Greta with social influencer Sophia!
- Watch: Morano on The Kim Iversen Show discussing climate lockdowns & morphing the issue of Covid
- Climatologist Dr. Judith Curry: ‘The UN IPCC Reports have become ‘bumper sticker’ climate science’ – Report lobbies for ‘politically manufactured consensus’
- Great Water Reset: The UN & WEF are coming for your water now! ‘Sustainable development’ water dictates – Aim to ‘achieve internationally agreed water-related goals’
- SEC Staff Consulted With Green Financial Firm Accused Of Selling ‘Fictitious’ Carbon Credits
- Green Dictatorship? Netherlands Politicians Answering to the EU instead of Voters – Despite rejection of agriculture policies in recent elections
- World’s Biggest Seller of Carbon Offsets Accused of Being a Scam
- Lawyers Seek To Add Stock Of Lawyer Jokes By Demanding Oil Companies Be Prosecuted For Homicide
- UN Advisor Sophia Kianni says the quiet part out loud! ‘Remember when we treated COVID-19 like an emergency? Well it’s time to do the same for climate change’
- ‘Climate Brides’ – Media claims ‘Pakistan’s Climate Crisis of Child Marriage’ Due to Floods – ‘Patriarchal power structures impose disproportionate climate-related harms on women & girls’
- Your Future Meals Could Come From A 3D Printer ‘to combat climate-related food insecurity’, Researchers Say – ‘Food paste is squeezed through a syringe’ into 3D printer
- ‘They Offset’: John Kerry Defends Billionaires Flying Private To Davos ‘And they are working harder than most people I know to be able to try to effect this transition’
- Federal Regulator Acknowledges Danger To Wildlife Caused By Offshore Wind Farms
- BERLIN’S CLIMATE-NEUTRAL-BY-2030 REFERENDUM FAILS!
- Report: Wind industry & the gov’t colluding to mislead public about the true cost of wind energy – FOI reveals
- ‘What must true theologians think’: ‘Pagan’ Greta Thunberg receives theology doctorate
- Angry Polish miners hold mock Greta Thunberg funeral to protest EU climate policies – Chants of ‘thieves!’ at the EU building
- Brazilian Gov’t eyes declaring ‘permanent climate emergency’ for over 1,000 cities
- Wash, blow dry & talk to me about global warming please: Hairdressers trained to talk about ‘climate action’ to customers
- WaPo: Why climate ‘doomers’ are replacing climate ‘deniers’ – ‘How UN reports & confusing headlines created a generation of people who believe climate change can’t be stopped’